INDIANA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
State Health Commissioner's Order #CO-21-01
Updated Requirements for Reporting COVID-19
Information to the Department of Health
(Replaces Order #CO-20-03)
WHEREAS, on March 6, 2020, Governor Eric J. Holcomb issued Executive Order 20-02, which declared that a public health emergency exists throughout the State of Indiana as a result of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and most recently renewed in Executive Order 21-16;
WHEREAS, on March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 to be a global pandemic and, on March 13, 2020, the President of the United States declared a national emergency with respect to this dangerous virus;
WHEREAS, COVID-19 is a respiratory illness that can be spread from person to person. COVID-19 is thought to be spread mainly between people who are in close contact and prolonged contact with one another (about 6 feet) through respiratory droplets produced by an infected individual. COVID-19 may also be spread by touching a surface object that has virus on it and then touching one's own mouth, nose, or eyes. COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily and sustainably in the community;
WHEREAS, the Indiana Department of Health (Department) requires information concerning COVID-19 to be reported by health care providers as soon as possible to provide timely intervention and direction to the State's response to the public health emergency;
WHEREAS, contact tracing in congregate settings, including K-12 educational institutions, long-term care facilities, jails, and prisons is necessary to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in those institutions;
WHEREAS, under the authority granted to the Department in IC 16-19-3-9
to "do what is reasonable and necessary for the prevention and suppression of disease"; IC 16-41-2-1
requiring the reporting of communicable disease information and issuing control measures for reportable conditions; and Executive Order 20-02 which requires health care providers to cooperate with the Department in its response to the declared public health emergency.
THEREFORE, I, Kristina Box, MD, FACOG, State Health Commissioner, do hereby order the following:
1. All laboratories performing COVID-19 PCR testing for residents of Indiana shall report all negative COVID-19 test results, in addition to the positive results already required to be reported to the Department, in a manner prescribed by the Department, within twenty-four (24) hours of completing the test.
2. All laboratories performing COVID-19 antibody testing for residents in Indiana shall report the results of all tests for IgM, IgG, and IgA for COVID-19 antibodies to the Department, in a manner prescribed by the Department, within twenty-four (24) hours of completing the test.
3. All laboratories performing COVID-19 antigen testing for residents in Indiana shall report the results of all tests for COVID-19 antigen to the Department, in a manner prescribed by the Department, within twenty-four (24) hours of completing the test.
4. All long-term care facilities, jails, prisons, or other congregate housing facilities are required to report positive COVID-19 test results for all patients, residents, offenders, and employees upon first notification of receipt of positive result to the Department in a manner prescribed by the Department.
5. All long-term care facilities, jails, prisons, or other congregate housing facilities are required to report any COVID-19 related deaths or suspected COVID-19 related deaths of patients, residents, offenders, and employees to the Department within twenty-four (24) hours of the facilities' knowledge of the death in a manner prescribed by the Department.
6. All K-12 educational institutions are required to report all known positive COVID-19 cases in students and staff upon first notification of each case in a manner prescribed by the Department in accordance with the Department's control measures for COVID-19.
7. This order supersedes and replaces the previous order #CO-20-03 issued on this subject, dated June 1, 2020.
Kristina M. Box, MD, FACOG
State Health Commissioner
Indiana Department of Health
Posted: 08/04/2021 by Legislative Services Agency
Composed: Sep 21,2021 7:57:31PM EDT
version of this document.